VELONODE AND CHEFONABIKE..

Velonode Rider Profiles is a series of editorial interviews with riders where we welcome you to look into the personality of the people behind the bars. We’re including the Velonode Rider Profile Series in our Issue to give you a continuous story to enjoy every time we release a new edition of the Issue. If you’re interested in contributing to our rider profiles, please contact us at hello@velonode.cc

Who are you?
My name is Mario Presi, 38 years of age, Italian by birth. I come from the Veneto region (from Padova, near Venice) in north-east Italy. I grew up in Italy and went to Catering College where I graduated in Hotel & Restaurant Management in 1995. I worked in several local establishments from Spa Hotels to Restaurants until 2000. Then I moved to London in 2001 and I never looked back since.
What’s the story behind your cooking?
I worked for what was known at the time as Conran Restaurants, a great company to work for. I had the pleasure to work with talented individuals and amazing head chefs. As much as I loved London, I always had a soft spot for the alps and winter/snow in general. So in 2005 I decided to do my first ever ski season. I landed a job for Alp Leisure as a chalet chef in Meribel, France. It was the best time of my life. I then repeated the experience the following season in St. Anton, Austria – this time working for Scott Dunn.
What happened after that?
On my return to London I decided I wanted to be my own boss. So I became self employed and started to work for private clients, families and corporates creating bespoke events. Dinner parties and cooking lessons were the main services I offered.

How did you get introduced to cycling?
My cycling career started back in 1985 when I participated at the FIAC BMX World Championships making the A Final. From there on I raced all over Italy winning 6 Italian National Titles in both BMX 20″ and Cruiser 24″, 4th place in the 1989 World Cup, Podium finishes at European Races and in 1992 a prestigious European Title. I raced BMX in Italy, until 1999.
In 2008 I rediscovered my love for competitive cycling. I joined a BMX club in London and got into shape by training hard. I started competing again and after a few seasons I won the British Championships in 2011 cat Cruiser 35-39, British National title in 2012 cat Cruiser 35-39 and a prestigious 4th place at the World Championships 2012 in Birmingham cat Cruiser 35-39.
How did you bring those to passions of yours together?
My interest in food and the knowledge I gained in all my years as a professional chef, triggered an ever growing need to understand the importance of a balanced diet for athletes, in this case – cyclists. In 2013 I got head down and buried in web articles and books to get to know more about nutrition. I understood the importance to eat a more natural, organic, mostly plant based, whole food diet rather than processed food.

What is Chefonabike?
To help people understand how to eat better, I have founded “Chefonabike”. I wanted to help people improve their eating habits by introducing new items/foods in the daily food intake, educating in what, when and why to eat it. This is great for athletes who want to improve their performance by enhancing their nutrition but it is also equally good for the average person who doesn’t compete in any sport but likes to keep fit and wants to stay healthy and generally would like to switch to a more natural way of eating – clean eating.
What is “clean eating”?
Clean eating is predominately plant based which utilizes whole, unprocessed foods. It is free of artificial ingredients, and opts for organic whenever possible. Whole and unprocessed plant-based foods are full of vitamins, minerals, quality macronutrients, and antioxidants that the body needs for cellular regeneration. Plant-based foods are also beneficial to the planet, using fewer natural resources to support the health of our body (and planet).
Eating clean means avoiding foods that were made in lab, or simply put: not eating foods with ingredients you can’t pronounce. Artificial foods, foods that have been genetically modified, or are laden with pesticides and herbicides have the opposite effect of nourishment, causing stress on your body and this stress can cause, ultimately, illnesses.
The principle is very simple: add instead of subtract to create lasting change. There is no right or wrong way to start eating clean, and my advice and tips are the tools for anyone seeking to improve overall wellness. (You don’t have to be vegetarian or vegan to find value in a clean diet).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD...EVEN WHEN BIKEPACKING!

THE BIKEPACKINGCHEF...STORIES, TRIPS AND COOKING TIPS OF AN ADVENTURE CYCLING CHEF.

AN ORDINARY MTB RIDE IN THE ALPS..