THE BIKEPACKINGCHEF...STORIES, TRIPS AND COOKING TIPS OF AN ADVENTURE CYCLING CHEF.

Very often in life, a spark of inspiration is enough to create fantastic things. 
The idea for BikepackingChef came to me on a cold and snowy afternoon in early December, year 2019, while I was returning home on foot after a day spent doing splitboarding with friends.

I was thinking of the next bikepacking events scheduled for summer 2020. A little later I found myself thinking about how and what I could eat, both in the saddle and especially at lunch and dinner. (Maybe it's because I'm a chef in the kitchen but I always think about eating .. the first thing I think of when I get up in the morning is "what can I eat for breakfast today? Porridge or Muesli..or a couple of French Toasts?".)

Eating and eating healthy while doing bikepacking, cycling, endurance (both for pleasure and especially in the race) is, in my opinion, the most important aspect and at the same time the aspect that is most underestimated. There are "metropolitan nutritional legends" that are now part of our habit and are not always correct.

On the other hand, a bikepacker cannot live only on energy bars and gels ... right?

Endurance cycling and bikepacking, in particular, requires a huge daily calorie requirement. Do you think that a man of medium height and build needs about 2500 cal per day (24 hours) to survive (basic vital functions and normal daily physical activity), while during an event such as the Tuscany Trail, for example, the need daily caloric increases by 3 or 4. Nutrition is of fundamental importance also in relation to the effort that the cyclist will have to face. An explosive effort (think of sprinters on the track or bmx racers for example), in order to fully express itself, needs carbohydrates. A medium / high intensity effort needs fats and carbohydrates. In both cases, proteins play a repairing role (and not energetic, as perhaps many believe).

Of course, the place / area / country where you ride has a very important impact as regards meal planning and where to buy snacks and more.

Very often the idea of ​​bringing a camp stove and pans with you and stopping to buy food and then cooking a decent meal outdoors, I can understand, that many of you don't want. After pedalling for 10-12-15 hours, I guess you just want to sit at the table and eat (even the table with dishes and glasses perhaps included).

For this reason, a few weeks ago I wrote a post on the Facebook page of the Tuscany Trail and Tuscany Road asking you bikepackers the following questions:

Have you ever cooked outdoors?
If you've never done it, what prevents you from doing it?
Will you bring the TT20 cooking kit with you?
If yes, will you cook from scratch or will you bring dehydrated meals (those for mountaineering and expedition so to speak)?
My post aroused a lot of interest by generating a large number of responses and the data collected was useful for me to understand that actually, there is no space where you can find simple and useful information for everything related to the outdoor kitchen / camp kitchen / and how to eat during a bikepacking event.

Very often I am asked the following question: "What do you eat when you do bikepacking?" It depends. It depends on how I want to tackle an organized trail event or a project / tour alone or in good company. I noticed that this affects a lot how I organize and plan my event / tour.

If I decide to register for an organized event, I try to travel as light as possible and this means leaving the outdoor cooking kit at home (which, by the way, is small and weighs very little). If instead  I decide to take a trip of a few days in the mountains around the house for example, then I bring with me the necessary to cook outdoors, some simple supplies such as rice, pasta or quinoa, a couple of boxes of tuna and a jar ( plastic) of pesto or tomato sauce, a couple of bags of powdered soups, some vegetables like carrots, zucchini, sweet potatoes (excellent carbohydrate resources), self-made energy bars, 70% chocolate, oatmeal to make porridge (typical Scottish breakfast of oat flakes) or homemade muesli (rich in a mix of nuts and seeds and dried fruit), dried fruit and almonds. If the weight becomes my main goal (not to have a too heavy set-up), then I bring dehydrated meals with me. There are really excellent ones on the market and we will deepen the topic in a specific article in the section.

In this new section, we will give you the necessary tools to follow a healthy and energetic diet even when you travel.

We will create simple recipes to follow, with photos and videos that will explain step by step the correct procedure to follow.

We will give you all the tips and tricks of the trade (they are cooking chefs) to make your outdoor cooking experience more enjoyable.

In other words, we will try to give you the inspiration to create moments to remember, even better if in good company.

During this year we will analyze the following topics:

- Recipes for a breakfast of champions
- How to make coffee "bikepacking mode" (mocha; drip filter; French press Bodum)
- "Snacks on the go"
- Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free recipes
- Recipes with meat and fish
- In addition, to better understand the various possibilities of the outdoor kitchen, we will do tests and reviews of materials and equipment.

- Cooking kit (traditional and ultra light), test and purchase guide.
- Heat source (butane gas; alcohol; live fire) and how to use them correctly.
- Dehydrated ready meals and freeze dry tests
- How to transport your cooking kit?
- Which food is more convenient to carry in your bikepacking bags?

and much more…

Bikepacking Chef / Mario Presi aka Chefonabike

Follow me on IG at: @bikepackingchef
Follow me on twitter: Bikepacking Chef



Article appeared on BikePacking.it on 18 Feb 2020
https://www.bikepacking.it/novita/bikepackingchef-presentazione/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD...EVEN WHEN BIKEPACKING!

AN ORDINARY MTB RIDE IN THE ALPS..